Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

The Rapture

As I am still here on the day predicted as the end of the world, I am just going to recommend, again, a book: White Teeth, by Zadie Smith. It opens with a sort of rapture party, or post-rapture party, after another predicted end-of-the-world didn't happen, leaving behind some disappointed Jehovah's Witnesses.

I loved it when I read it, and I loved it when I discovered it again as a PBS mini-series. It is an amazingly optimistic look at our various cultural clashes during the 20th century, after World War II. It is not always a cheerful book--crap happens--but it handles the crap with just the right amount of dark comedy.

Here's a good interview with the author!

I do think we can love one another, and find a way to live with one another on this earth. If we fail, the earth will clean itself up without us, but I hope it doesn't come to that.

And now, left behind and not eaten by zombies, I must manage to eat some breakfast. Backwards as I am, I brushed my teeth first.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar