Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

A Mad Tea Party (in my head)

Everywhere seems to be awash with images from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.   Indeed, tomorrow my daughter is due to see the film at an 8 year old Film'n'Pancake Parlour combination party which is certainly a popular theme this year.   

I, alas, will be having my hair done and will wait to see it on DVD.  Which has been pretty much the case with all films for the last 8 years.

But am I complaining?  No, not a jittery jot.   Alice has been such a wonderful inspiration for artists and illustrators for more than a century.  And it is not hard to see why - a pretty girl and lots of wonderful and crazy animals and characters to portray. 

And everyone brings their own imagination to bear.





(Marjorie Torrey, 1946) 


(AE Jackson, 1914)





(Mabel Lucie Atwell 1910)



(Angel Dominguez, 1996) 


(Gwynned Hudson, 1922)





(Maria Kirk, 1904)




(Nicole Claveloux, 1940)



(Peter Newell, 1901)




(Arthur Rackham, 1907)





(Sir John Tenniel 1865)

I can tell you that this picture used to scare the living daylights out of me when I was younger. Much scarier than even Stephen Fry. 


So, this weekend, I will be tea-partying with the Mad Hatter in this hat:





(from Harvash.com)


And drinking my tea from one of these, because I think a tea party calls for flowery porcelain:




Taitu - tea for one




Gien


Taitu - L'Erba del Vicino

Bernadaud - Frivole


Gien 
(all porcelain from tableideas.com) 

And the Mad Hatter can use this teapot, if he dares:


Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar