Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Crazy Mailman

Now that I am caught up with the Twilight series, I can move on. My 700th post will coming up here shortly, and I plan on kicking off a series a review with that post. As always, it will be a favorite movie of mine. The first movie is anyway. As far as I know there are five movies in the series, so maybe that will leave all of you guessing until I get to it. I still have a few more reviews to get to before that post though, and one of those is for the movie I watched today, The Mailman (2004). I wasn't sure which movie I wanted to watch out of my instant queue today. So many to choose from, you know? I just went with the one at the top, well second from the top actually. I admit that I like the DVD cover for the movie. A mailman with an axe has to be good, doesn't it?

When Darius Foxx (Rob Arbogast) was a young boy, he came home from school one day to find his mother with another man. Darius didn't actually walk in on them, but could see them from the outside window. The walking in part was left up to his father, who didn't say a word about it. Instead he pulls out his gun and shoots both the man, and then his wife. When he notices his son at the window, he turns the gun on himself. Now, almost 20 years later, Darius returns to the small town where this murder/suicide, and plans to take revenge on the town. He takes the place of the local mailman, and everyone seems to take his word that the regular mailman decided to take a vacation, without telling anyone of course. Before delivering the mail, he shifts through it all in order to find out the secrets of everyone in town, and of course uses them against each person. He targets Beth (Ari Tinnen) and her brother Jay (Jesse Merrill), mainly because Darius has a special bond with Jay that he doesn't know about yet. Jay is the bad sheep in the family. He comes across as a real jerk, and loves to play jokes on people. When he learns that his best friend is dating his sister behind his back, he is eager to break away, which helps Darius' plans a lot.

A lot of people complained that this movie looked like it was filmed on a video camera. I didn't notice the bad film quality though. I think that might be because I was watching it on my computer, and even then not at full screen. I did notice that The Mailman had a low rating, just under two stars, before I started watching it. Personally, I think that your general fan, that likes horror movies but doesn't watch as many as most of us bloggers, tend to be a little too hard on low budget movies. They aren't always made as well as the bigger brother called Hollywood. Give me a good plot and at least a well done effort in making the movie, and I'm good to go. With The Mailman though, the low rating is in fact justified. We are given a very thin plot to go with, the mailman never takes up an axe, and the kills end up being very boring. Darius doesn't do a whole lot outside of reading every ones mail, and telling people things that tend to make them mad. He bonds with Jay by having him over to read mail, smoke, and drink. I know that is how I bond with people. Darius does kill a few people, but it feels random at best a lot of the time. He kills Jay's girlfriend, which I didn't understand since he is trying to get the guy to trust him. Killing the girlfriend isn't a very good way to do that in my book at least.

The effects are pretty minor, just a some blood when someone gets stabbed or shot. The acting was okay at best. Rob Arbogast makes a great bad guy. Nothing against the other actors in this film, but Rob was clearly above them as far as his acting went. He is the main reason I'm not going to give The Mailman my lowest rating. I also liked Ari Tinnen to a degree as well. A lot of people felt the acting wasn't worth watching, but again with this being a low budget movie with a bunch of no-name actors, I'm not going to be as hard on it. They weren't real bad actors, so I can live with what was given to me.

If you like nudity in a film, this one is for you. You won't find nudity in every other scene, but there is still plenty of it. Much like who Darius feels like killing, the nudity can feel random. There is even a scene with two women making out. I don't know too many that will do that, and get completely naked, while out in front of their house though. Maybe they were around back, either way though they were outside. Ari Tinnen doesn't show anything though. I guess being the lead actress you don't have to show nudity. I have noticed that in a lot of films really. With Ari though, it is slightly different. She takes a shower in one scene, and a bubble bath in other. Because of this, we catch a glimpse of her breasts, but never a full shot of them. It almost felt like the film makers were teasing us with this actress.

The Mailman could have been a fun little film I think, but they didn't give it a very good plot. I would think that a normal mailman would have found plenty of reasons to kill people at times. Mine drives a truck, and usually will not get out even if I am home to drop off something at the door or have something signed for. I actually stood just outside the door while he dropped off mail, only to find a notice saying I wasn't home so I have to go to the post office to get the package. Of course that is me wanting to kill the mailman, not the other way around. Still though, I'm sure they could have come up with a better plot, and way more interesting deaths, than they did here.
2 out of 5 At least he wasn't delivering more than the mail

HorrorBlips: vote it up!

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar